Question about allocator design

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel@ginac.de
Tue Apr 24 06:05:00 GMT 2001


Hi all,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, I wrote:
[...]
> Well, I was referring to the branch.  And reading stl_alloc.h also
> suggests thread-safety is a reason.  I tried that library again and well,
> I still see some cases where memory consumption goes way up and stays
> where it is, even with libstdc++-v3!  It does not appear to be a memleak
> since repeating that call hundreds of times does not eat more memory.  I
> have, however, not found out (yet) wich template instantiations are
> responsible for that.  Are you definitely sure the behaviour has changed
> all over STL or may some containers still be doing the old allocation?!?

Okay, here is relief: After more debugging I found some intersting
interference causing a memory leak and GCC's new libstdc++ is not at all
to blame.  Thought I should post this here after having hollered.  Sorry.

Regards
    -richy.

PS: On the recent topic of doxygen/dot usage: Go, go go!  It greatly helps
    programmers new to a project to understand the interconnections
    between files / data structures.  The only problem I keep struggling 
    with could be a problem for libstdc++, too.  It is item 4 on the
    wishlist at < http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/todo.html >.
-- 
Richard Kreckel
<Richard.Kreckel@GiNaC.DE>
< http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/ >




More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list