gcc-3_0-branch cstdio=libio == libstdc++ doing miserable on make check

Gordon Sadler gbsadler1@lcisp.com
Mon Apr 23 21:45:00 GMT 2001

This is copied to gcc and libstdc++ MLs.

On onlinedocs/libstdc++/configopts.html it says:
--enable-cstdio=LIB

Select a target-specific I/O package. As of libstdc++-v3 snapshot 2.91,
the choices are 'libio' to specify the GNU I/O package (from glibc, the
GNU C library), or 'stdio' to use a generic "C" abstraction. The default
is 'stdio'.

So most people take the default and so did I till yesterday. Now that
would tell me that libio doesn't get much testing...

linux 2.4.3ac12 glibc2.2.2 i686

For reference:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2001-04/msg00437.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2001-04/msg00448.html

Only difference between these builds, 24 hours of minimal CVS activity
and --enable-cstdio=libio.

                === g++ Summary ===

		# of expected passes            6429
		# of unexpected failures        3
		# of expected failures          86
		# of untested testcases         9
		gcc-3.0/gcc/testsuite/../g++ version 3.0 20010422 (prerelease)

               === g++ Summary ===

	       # of expected passes            5564
	       # of unexpected failures        868
	       # of expected failures          86
	       # of untested testcases         9
	       gcc-3.0/gcc/testsuite/../g++ version 3.0 20010423 (prerelease)

Is the GNU I/O specific package really that much worse? Or has a lot of
code been make to work on the generic stdio without pushing to make it
work under libio?

Gordon Sadler