Building libstdc++-v3 and -WError

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Wed Sep 6 18:52:00 GMT 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:36:58PM -0400, brent verner wrote:
> On 06 Sep 2000 at 17:59 (-0700), Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> | --enable-werror flag is a bit much, and adding it to debug_flags is
> | really not the intention of that flag.

[...]
> Perhaps the (real)
> developers could just enable the -Werror (periodically?) to make sure
> no serious warnings are being emitted.

In the (what now seems ancient) GLIBCPP_ENABLE_DEBUG entry for acinclude.m4,
I wrote a comment, "Perhaps --enable-maintainer-mode should automatically
turn this on?".

I realize that none of this is in the intention of the maint-mode flag
either -- and bkoz's message makes me wonder if I fully understand the
intention of debug_flags now -- but I personally would prefer a single
setting which signifies, "I am one of the maintainers / I am paranoid
about this build / I enjoy pain" to turn on all of these switches.

The reasoning is that if you're enabling maintainence of dependancies,
and a debug build, and a no-optimization build, you're probably interested
in the related flags as well, like -W*.  If you're not interested in one
of the above, you're probably not interested in any of the above.

Just my two timeslices.