new ABI (was Re: current status of v3)

Levente Farkas lfarkas@mindmaker.hu
Thu Oct 26 01:09:00 GMT 2000


Phil Edwards wrote:
> > > > what about the new abi ? do I need use --enable-new-gxx-abi ?
> > >
> > > Experimental.
> > >
> > > > the current stdc++ compile and run without the new abi ?
> > >
> > > Probably.
> >
> > so I don't have to use the --enable-new-gxx-abi ?
> > or it's better if I use it ?
> 
> The current compiler and library will probably run better without the
> new ABI.  It's still experimental.  GCC 3.0 will use the new ABI, so you
> can turn it on if you want to test it or debug it.
> 
> I haven't even looked at the new ABI, so I can't answer anything else.

so anybody who is an abi expert can confirm that v3 works without the new abi ?
since tha main reason why red hat not compile their gcc in 7.0 with v3
support was that it's require the new abi ? and they loose binary 
compatibility (at least that's what I heard from the packager).
since IMHO v3 is much better even in the current state than v2 was so I don't
know any other reason.

 -- Levente                        http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html
 "The only thing worse than not knowing the truth is
  ruining the bliss of ignorance."


More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list