good news and bad news

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Sat Oct 21 20:12:00 GMT 2000

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 03:22:47PM -0700, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> Please disable all the flags related to that, rebuild, and try again. I
> suspect that's the problem.

It was.  Now I'm seeing problems with static executables, but that's a
gcc problem rather than a v3 problem.

> As --gc-sections is broken anyway, even on linux, I'm thinking of
> disabling it.

Now that I think about it...  Does garbage collecting the sections in a
library at all make sense?  Creating data/function sections is way cool,
since it opens up all those possibilities to the user's executables.
But even if --gc-sections were working perfectly, how do we tell which
parts of a /library/ never get called?

Phil