testresults, linuxppc-2000, powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
Phil Edwards
pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Mon Nov 27 17:30:00 GMT 2000
On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:14:57AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>
> I attempted a build on a Solaris-2.7 this morning but temporarily
> abandoned the idea: for a reason beyond my current understanding, GCC
> is mixing the kind of linkers it is using even if I *explicitly* tell
> it --with-gnu-ld=$HOME/gnu/bin/ld. It starts with Sun's ld then
> suddenly switches to my locally installed GNU ld, then ends up
> complaining about unrecognized object format. Icks.
This used to happen to me, too. There seem to be too many places in GCC
(or maybe just one place that gets referenced a lot) where "host == solaris"
turns into "we must be using Sun ld".
I reported it once, and got the same thing I get every time I report a
buggy interaction between GCC and GNU ld: gcc says it's a binutils problem,
binutils says it's a gcc problem.
For non-native-tools building, I use a unified GCC+binutils source tree,
and just use --with-gnu-ld (with no =pathname argument). The configure
and build pick up on the presence of GNU ld sources living *right there*
and behave correctly, but if the sources aren't *right there* then weirdness
and pain happens later. As long as it's unified, it's okay.
(Yes! Four "and"s in a column, by coincidence.)
Phil
--
pedwards at disaster dot jaj dot com | pme at sources dot redhat dot com
devphil at several other less interesting addresses in various dot domains
The gods do not protect fools. Fools are protected by more capable fools.
More information about the Libstdc++
mailing list