Proposed man pages: <vector> sample, RFC

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@redhat.com
Mon Nov 13 09:51:00 GMT 2000

> > Ok.  I've revisited the thread on this list (back in June) discussing man page
> > documentation, which begins at:
> >
> >   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libstdc++/2000-q2/msg00832.html
> >
> > I didn't read it very carefully then, but I have now.  There are
> > several good points made, not least of which are concerns about
> > duplicating SGI's HTML documentation (we shouldn't) and considering
> > texinfo format (we should).

Right. Thanks for taking the time to come up to speed on this issue.

About your proposed man page for vector: I liked it, and think something
like it could be quite useful. I would like to see something like this
shipped as part of libstdc++-v3.

I'm not quite sure how you created the man page, but I would also like to
second the suggestion that you check out doxygen. I've heard a lot of
good things about it from the boost.org people, and am interested in
seeing what somebody thinks about using it for libstdc++-v3. I don't
suppose you could be convinced to do a bit of a review of it for the rest
of us?

I'm most interested in doxygen because I think it'll allow the automatic
creation of browse-related documentation, which includes inheritance
graphs, etc. This I find very useful, and if we could figure out a way to
automatic do this (as opposed to the manual iostreams graphs) I would be
most grateful.

I understand that this is perhaps more that what you were willing to do.

-bennjamin