--enable-long-long by default?

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Tue May 30 12:41:00 GMT 2000

Gabriel Dos Reis <Gabriel.Dos-Reis@cmla.ens-cachan.fr>:

> |  > I really really want this to be on by default if the underlying OS and
> |  > compiler supports it.  (In other words, my code uses it.)  I'm a Linux user,
> |  > and I don't want to have to recompile the compiler and standard libraries
> |  > locally every time I upgrade my OS.
> |
> | Strongly agree.  This is a system library we're building here.
>
> OK.

I've patched Benjamin's "on by default" change as Loren suggested, so that
if strtoll isn't there, the default gets ignored (actually, even if the
user specifies --enable-long-long, it'll be ignored).  I have /not/ gone
any further with it; other suggestions were to use alternative functions
and/or put them into libiberty.  Since all of my testing boxes support
long long, I have no way of making absolutely certain that the 'disable'
code does the right thing.

Phil