C++ err msgs [ was Re: building libstdc++-v3 from the 20000105 snapshot dies with multiple def errors. ]

Petter Urkedal petter@matfys.lth.se
Fri May 12 01:40:00 GMT 2000

Jason Merrill wrote:

>  >     std::map
>  >       < std::basic_string
>  >           < char,
>  >             std::char_traits<char>,
>  >             std::allocator<char> >,
>  >         std::pair<int, int> >
>  >       ::operator[](std::basic_string
>  >                      < char,
>  >                        std::char_traits<char>,
>  >                        std::allocator<char> >)
>
> This is more Gnuically correct, apart from the space after '<'.  I still
> prefer my scheme when it doesn't cause the args to flow off the end of the
> line, but this would be fine for longer cases.

The reason behind that space is that, in most cases when I have to split
the line, the matching `>' needs a space for syntactic resons, and I
always balance these extra spaces, as in

    std::vector< std::pair<int, int> >

(but `std::vector<int>'.)  With this convention, the extra space is
needed for all mutiline arguments to make the code look uniform.

Well, the in the GNU coding standard does not mandate space after `<'.
I could not find much about template arguments at all there.

 -petter.