C++ err msgs

Nathan Myers ncm@cantrip.org
Thu May 11 14:29:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 01:14:53PM -0700, Jason Merrill wrote:
> BTW, what was the rationale for this->func()?  There isn't one in the
> document.  Inside templates, we will need to start qualifying all names
> (not just functions) inherited from base classes with this->, so perhaps
> it's simpler just to always do it.

The C++STYLE file was hastily done and does need more repairs.

The reason for using this-> only on functions is that the naming
convention requires an _M_ prefix on members and an _S_ prefix
on statics and globals, so the only remaining non-dependent names
subject to hijacking are public member functions.

The rule doesn't make sense outside the weird naming conventions
necessary in the standard library implementation.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip dot org