FreeBSD 4.0 support now in

llewelly@dbritsch.dsl.xmission.com llewelly@dbritsch.dsl.xmission.com
Thu May 11 02:12:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Stefanus Du Toit wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, thanks for this, it's great! I recently switched from Linux
> to FreeBSD and I have no intentions to go back, I was hoping that v3 would
> be buildable on here for about a week and a half now since showmanyc() in
> libg++

libg++ is obsolete.

libstdc++-v3 is an implementation the ISO standard C++ library, so it does
  not contain libg++ .

libstdc++-v3 does contain a working basic_streambuf<>::showmanyc() .
  (If you find any bugs in it, please email this list. :-)

> does not seem to be implemented in the version that ships with
> FreeBSD (it relies on #ifdef _G_IO_IO_FILE_VERSION = 0x20001, which is not
> so in the version in /usr/src) and I require it for a protocol library
> that I am currently working on (never mind the fact that basic_streambuf
> and locale are missing! *shudder*). I was just about to offer my help to
> see if there was anything I could do to improve the build situation on
> FreeBSD. Since I'm new to both FreeBSD and libstdc++-v3, I'm not quite
> sure if I would be of much help to you though :)

You are welcome to help look for bugs. :-)

> What is the recommended way to compile this - should I get a gcc 2.95.2
> tarball, use /usr/ports/gcc-devel, use gcc 2.95.2 from
> /usr/src/contrib? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't wait to
> start using this.

I do not think it matters which gcc-2.95.2 you use. Note that
  libstdc++-v3 is experimental, and does not come with gcc 2.95.2

Unfortunately, libstdc++-v3 does not work with gcc-2.95.2 at this
  moment (lots of duplicate definition errors, caused in part
  by a bad tr in src/Makefile.am). Benjamin was using 2.96 from cvs.

I am currently working on a patch to fix the 2.95.2 problems; it should be
  ready to sumbit in a few hours. Care to be the first person to test it
  on FreeBSD ? :-) (I only have linux.)