Linkage errors running make check.

oliver oliver@zeroknowledge.com
Sun Jun 11 14:48:00 GMT 2000


> > 	After several attempts to change directory
> configurations, make sure my
> > environment is sane etc, I can't seem to get rid of this.
> Can anyone give me
> > a hint as to what might be going wrong?
>
> Use -fhonor-std consistently.
>

	Hmm, yes. Well if I compile my own programs with -fhonor-std, simple
programs do work. Several unit tests still fail with linkage errors, even
though they are compiled -fhonor-std. It appears to depend on which headers
the tests drag in (obvious enough). If I hack the -fhonor-std out of the
mktest (?) script, I get different linkage errors.

	If I compile libstdc++ et al (from top level configure)
with --enable-cxx-flags='-fhonor-std' then everything is pooched and I get
different link errors depending on whether or not I compile programs
with -fhonor-std or not, neither case works even for a simple 'std::cout <<
"foo bar baz" << std::endl' testlet. The tests are broken. I don't know if
this is normal.

	Something is definately not working right here. I've followed the
directions with current versions of the source and gcc using an up to date
build environment (binutils ldconfig etc are all rh 6.2's) and the resulting
library seems deeply broken.

	The problems do all seem to be namespace related AFIK. If I 'nm -o
/usr/lib/* | grep "foosymbol"', I do see defined versions of the symbols in
libstdc++.*, yet something is awry.

	What did you mean by consistently?

	(BTW, Are there no binaries of 2.95.2 / libstc++-v3 anywhere? Open Source
isn't supposed to hurt _this_ much.)

Thanks,
~ol



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list