Unable to build libstdc++-v3

Ronald Fischer ronald.fischer.gp@icn.siemens.de
Fri Aug 25 03:00:00 GMT 2000

Phil Edwards wrote:
> This is why none of the make invocations were working.  All of the targets
> you were trying (bootstrap, all, all-target-libstdc++-v3, etc) know that
> the library must be configured before it can be compiled, and it must be
> compiled before anything (including headers) can be installed.
>
> So every time you tried to make /anything/ it would try to run the configure
> script.  Our configure script checks early on that GNU make is available
> somewhere.  In doing so, it uses some POSIX behavior of grep.  Unfortunately,
> the basic Solaris grep fails in this respect.  So the library configure
> would bomb.  Changing your PATH fixed that and allowed stuff to go further.

Interesting side note: I was told by Benjamin Kosnik, that recent egcs
releases are already integrated with libstdc++-v3. So when I invoked
configure the very first time, I should have stumbled over this problem
already then. But the first configure ran through it without problems.
Here is what I used for configuring:

$srcdir/configure --prefix=$instdir --with-local-prefix=$instdir
--enable-haifa --enable-language=c++ --enable-honor-std
--enable-libstdcxx-v3

(Benjamin told be that --encable-honor-std is not necessary anymore, but
I guess it did not hurt either).

Ronald
--
Ronald Otto Valentin Fischer <rovf@earthling.net>
[currently at: Siemens ICM CA MR EM6, phone: +89-722-23368]