Issues with RH6.0 and libstdc++

Chris Prince chrisp@lizardtech.com
Thu Jun 17 14:34:00 GMT 1999

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this...but I didn't see any
other lists (bugs, help, or otherwise). Also forgive the newbie.

I installed RedHat 6.0 and the compiler default install was
egcs-1.1.2-12.  Since I do lots of work with the stand libraries, I
promply re-installed egcs-1.1.1 and followed that by libstdc++-2.90.4.

First off -- when compiling this raw (following the RELEASE-NOTES) I now
get an error in the libioP.h and genops.h with it complaining of
redefinitions.  I ran through the archive and found a nice patch which
solved that problem.  Then found a patch for basic_file.cc line 140 and
installed that.

Now everything compiles.  However, for some reason I get the following
linking errors:

/usr/local/include/g++/std/bastring.h(.text+0x1aa): undefined reference
to `ostream::operator<<(int)'
/usr/local/include/g++/std/bastring.h(.text+0x1b3): undefined reference
to `ostream::operator<<(char const *)'

which repeats for a 10-20 lines or so.  I'm also getting undefined
reference to `istream::read(char *, int)' and  undefined reference to
`istream::seekg(long long, ios::seek_dir)' among others.  And to finally
bail out I get:

/usr/local/include/g++/fstream.h:65: undefined reference to
`ifstream::ios virtual table'
/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `c_logf'
/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `c_log'

Since this is happening in the link stage, I figured I need to
-llibstdc++ but I guess not.  I of course did a ldconfig to the
directory and I have the path in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Anyone else have a suggestion or solution?

Thank you.

--
Chris Prince

Lizard Tech, Inc.