Bug & Solution: GMake Install Failure w/ libstdc++-2.90.6

Eric Veum sysv@yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 09:53:00 GMT 1999

What do you mean by this?

I have never heard of a "build directory". What variable
in the configure or Makefile.[in,am] are you talking
about?

I think you mean $(srcprefix) when you refer to "build directory"
Am I correct?

For the purposes of this
discussion, let $(prefix) be /usr/local.

(This is also being done on solaris, and not linux, but
that should not matter here as all the tools and programs
used during the install are GNU here).

My $(srcprefix) during the compile
(actually $(prefix)/src/libstdc++-2.90.6) and
installation $(prefix) are different!

In this instance I am installing the complete gcc system,
so yes, the compiler and all the other supporting tools
mentioned (gmake,automake,autoconf,libtool,shtool,makeinto,
gperf,flex,bison,gcc,etc) being used are installed in
$(prefix)/bin, the location where I am attempting do an
install for libstdc++

If I am mistaken, someone please clarify. I did not have
the problems installing the 2.8.1 version of this library
with the exact same procedure.

Eric