Fwd: gcj can not import packages

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 09:59:00 GMT 2017

On 18/01/17 20:59, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> The Bootstrappable Builds project[1] ties to remove the number of
> trusted binaries to bootstrap a modern system.  One way to get there is
> to have a bootstrap path that leads to the unavoidable C compiler.
>
> And even the C compiler doesn’t *have* to be a trusted binary.  The Mes
> project[2] tries to build a C compiler using a minimal, hand-verifyable
> Scheme implementation, for example.
>
> I just find it sad to see GCJ go, because it makes it quite a bit harder
> to build the OpenJDK without a trusted JDK.

It could be done with a chain of OpenJDK versions going back to
OpenJDK 6.  Each release can build the previous one.  You'd also
need a chain of old GCC releases, because old OpenJDK wasn't
necessarily compilable with a modern GCC.

But bear in mind that even GCJ needed precompiled binaries: the
class library could be recompiled from source, but it needed a
binary class library.  So I'm not convinced that it's much of an
advantage to use GCJ, really.

Andrew.