GC leaks debugging

Erik Groeneveld erik@cq2.nl
Thu Apr 14 10:02:00 GMT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I will be looking into getting USE_MMAP to work, as I think that would
>> be a more definite solution.  However if I enable it, it segvs.
>>
>> Are there any specific obstacles for USE_MUNMAP when used in GCJ, or
>> should it just work?
>
> MUNMAP, hmm.  I don't know; it should work but there's no experience.

Ok, that is important information if I start debugging: it is perhaps
only a bug, not a fundamental problem per se.

> Why do you want to munmap, anyway?  Are you running out of swap space?

Well, I assume that if the GC unmaps a page (hblk), it can always be
mapped at any other location when a new block is needed, effectively
circumventing fragmentation completely.  However, I did not dive into
the exact usage of mmap and I assumed a straightforward way of
utilization of mmap by the GC.  I might be wrong....