GC leaks debugging

Bryce McKinlay bmckinlay@gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:11:00 GMT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/11 19:42, Erik Groeneveld wrote:

>> Meanwhile, I'd like to pursue a better solution - less of a hack.  Any
>> interest in helping out?
>
> Before you go any further, it's worth remembering that you're using an
> old version of the GC.  I've been told that "Of course, [the new gc]
> will require modification of boehm.cc in GCJ" but not why.
>
> It looks like you're making progress, but I urge you to move to the
> new gc or your time may be wasted on the old one.

Now would certainly be a good time to work on a boehm-gc import, with
GCC in stage 1.

Note that Kai Tietz has recently expressed interest in working on this, too:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2011-04/msg00006.html

"svn import" and "svn merge" are your friends here. The unmodified
upstream sources from the last time we merged are tagged as GC_6_6.
IIRC, the local modifications at that time were fairly minimal, mostly
just configure changes. If you import the current sources with a
similar tag, it'll make it easy to get a diff of the GCC tree's
current divergences, which can then be submitted upstream if
appropriate.

Bryce