GC leaks debugging

Erik Groeneveld erik@cq2.nl
Sun Apr 3 18:00:00 GMT 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Erik Groeneveld <erik@cq2.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Erik Groeneveld <erik@cq2.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Note that in the information you posted, the GC was scanning around 7.5MB of roots conservatively.  It might be worth checking what those regions are.
[...]
> So I am now off into JvCreateJavaVM,

and I found that the 7.5 MB roots are the static data area of libgcj
itself.  The GC calls back -- the last arg being the size:

_Jv_GC_has_static_roots(../gccinstall/lib/libgcj.so.12, 0xb704f000, 7544028)

and since libgcj is in 'the store' (_Jv_print_gc_store() prints
"../gccinstall/lib/libgcj.so.12"), it tells the GC to scan its static
data area conservatively.

As of yet I don't understand why this static area is so big, and what
could be on it, but when I lay myself to rest, the little gray cells
will sing to me (free after Hercules Poirot ;-).

Erik