Status of the GJC

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Tue Oct 26 09:42:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 10:30 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:

> >> I think that's an excellent idea.
> >>
> >> How does one start helping out with that?
> >
> > There was a project to create a Common Virtual Machine Interface which
> > has some interesting pointers. And Andrew Hughes made enough progress on
> > it to get JamVM to work against it. This project is currently not very
> > active, but seems a good starting point:
> > http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/CVMIDiscussion
> > http://fuseyism.com/openjdk/cvmi/
>
> Hmm.  I would have thought it made more sense to get gcj working with
> the Sun JDK VM interface.  I think we would have done it that way to
> begin with, but the JDK VM interface was secret.

The CVMI pages point to descriptions of the current VM interfaces of
both GNU Classpath (which gcj largely implements) and how Hotspot
interfaces with the OpenJDK class library. It also has a pointer to what
Cacao does (which implements both, plus the CLDC/PhoneME interface). So
even if you don't want to reuse any code from the project itself, it
seems a good starting point if you want to figure out what needs to be
done/changed.

Cheers,

Mark