PATCH RFA: Do not build java by default

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Nov 1 17:46:00 GMT 2010

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc@gmail.com> writes:

Steven> The argument against disabling java as a default language always was
Steven> that there should be at least one default language that requires
Steven> non-call exceptions. I recall testing many patches without trouble if
Steven> I did experimental builds with just C, C++, and Fortran, only to find
Steven> lots of java test suite failures in a complete bootstrap+test cycle.
Steven> So the second point is, IMVHO, not really true.

Is it possible to convert all failures of this form into a C++ test case
with -fnon-call-exceptions?  If so then at least there is a way to add
regression tests.

Steven> Is it possible to build and test java without all of libjava?

As far as I'm aware, not at present.  I think even the minimal possible
subset of libjava is pretty big, on the order of hundreds of classes,
IIRC.