Two quick GC questions [was Re: [REVIVED: PATCH PR42811,4.5 regression] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError in ecj1]

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm@hp.com
Thu Feb 18 22:06:00 GMT 2010

The GC normally does that internally, whether or not GC_INIT is called.  GC_init_inner() does not need to get called, but the collector tries to do that automatically when it can, though IIRC gcj should call GC_init()directly, possibly not through the GC_INIT() macro.

In the simplest case, GC_init_inner calls GC_register_data_segments.  In other cases, GC_register_dynamic_libraries does it, and GC_register_main_static_data() returns false,
avoiding the call the GC_register_data_segments.

> 2- Libgcj statically links its own personal private copy of
> boehm-gc, rather than using a shared library; does anyone
> know why it was designed this way?
Way back when, it needed a custon GC configuration.  But those options have generally become runtime configurable, so I suspect that's no longer true, though it may need to make some initialization calls to get the right configuration.

Hans