GCJ 3.4.3 and 3.3 classloading problem

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Sep 9 02:50:00 GMT 2009

>>>>> "Craig" == Craig Vanderborgh <craigvanderborgh@gmail.com> writes:

Craig> Please try not to dismiss this inquiry because we're using an
Craig> "older version".

Ok.

Craig> The application exhibiting the classloading trouble is a port of the
Craig> Jetty application server to arm-wince-pe-gcj.  Jetty and most of the
Craig> infrastructure it uses (e.g. Spring, Velocity) are gcj-compiled (to
Craig> .o) and statically linked, but the webapp application code consists
Craig> .class files that are classloaded by gcj from a .war file by Jetty.

Nice.

Craig> The faults usually occur somewhere in string processing,
Craig> typically in java::lang::String::getChars.

I don't recall seeing any problems like this.  Of course, since these
releases were so long ago, I wouldn't really expect to remember...

Did you search bugzilla for closed bugs along these lines?
That might yield something.

The String thing is interesting.  We've had various bugs involving
String.intern and also java.lang.ref that might cause inappropriate
collection.

I don't have a theory that covers why changing the executable helps.

Craig> We are in a position where I have to fix this at any cost.  If I have
Craig> to climb Mount Everest, I will do that.  Any ideas on where to start
Craig> or what we could look at would be greatly appreciated.

This is a tough sort of problem.  I hesitate to suggest any approaches
without knowing what you've tried.  (Also my libgcj debugging expertise
is not completely fresh...)