Making -findirect-dispatch the default?

Herman ten Brugge hermantenbrugge@home.nl
Sat Dec 19 11:44:00 GMT 2009

I would like to make a suggestion to make the "-findirect-dispatch" the
default when compiling code with gcj.

If you do not do this you some times get the message:

"Incorrect library ABI version detected.  Aborting."

This is really puzzling the first time you see it. You compiled you
source code from scratch and
still this message is given when running it.

I found the solution on the internet and used "-findirect-dispatch" to
solve it.
Why is this still not the default. I see that is was first introduced in the
"ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/summit/2004/GCJ New ABI.pdf"
because of serious ABI problems. But this was 5 years ago.

I also see that it has some performance penalties. But for optimizing
code we
always have to use some optimizing flags. We can then supply
"-fno-indirect-dispatch"
is we want faster code (and ABI incompatible).