[JAVA,libtool] Big libjava is biiiig.

Fri Aug 28 19:56:00 GMT 2009

David Daney wrote:

>> Dave> There are a couple of regressions to solve first, but it appears
>> Dave> that I've more-or-less cracked it.  Full details are written up
>> Dave> here:
>>
>> Dave>         http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Internal_dependencies_of_libgcj
>>
>> One thing worth considering is that you may be able to shrink things
>> even more by splitting up some existing objects.
>>
>> I didn't see AWT in the cluster 48 list, which seems weird.
>> I would expect it to be in the core due to AWTPermission.
>>
>> I'm curious why sun.awt and swing ended up in there.

  All the raw data is there to take a look at if you're determinedly curious.
 I don't know a lot about the theory behind the graphviz sccmap tool, and how
exactly it breaks the graph up.

>> I would expect that with minor tweaks you could probably get AWT, the
>> peers, and Swing to drop out.  That was true for AWT, at least, last
>> time I looked at this (years ago) -- but I needed a special case to keep
>> AWTPermission in.
>
> I have patches that do a lot of the things Tom mentions.  They are only
> lightly tested, but they could be a starting point.
>
> I will dig them out and post them this weekend.

  Thanks for the suggestions!  I'm going to finish the last tweaks and submit
my patch with the list as it currently stands, because of the scale of the
change and the looming-yet-still-a-little-vague end of stage1, but I think
tweaking the list of files subsequently is something we can do incrementally
once it's reviewed and checked in, no?

    cheers,
      DaveK