SimpleDateFormat

Ben Gardiner BenGardiner@nanometrics.ca
Thu Jun 19 12:52:00 GMT 2008

- - wrote:
> The output with "4.3.0 20080305 (alpha-testing) mingw-20080502" is:
>
> $ snippetCalendar.exe
> Test for SimpleDateFormat
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
>    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(fake:0)
>    at java.util.Currency.getInstance(fake:0)
>    at java.text.DecimalFormatSymbols.<init>(fake:0)
>    at java.text.DecimalFormatSymbols.getInstance(fake:0)
>    at java.text.NumberFormat.computeInstance(fake:0)
>    at java.text.NumberFormat.getNumberInstance(fake:0)
>    at java.text.SimpleDateFormat.<init>(fake:0)
>    at snippetCalendar.main(fake:0)
>    at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(fake:0)
>    at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(fake:0)
>    at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(fake:0)
>    at java.util.Properties.load(fake:0)
>    at java.util.Currency.<clinit>(fake:0)
>    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(fake:0)
>    ...7 more

I had this crash with 4.3.0 cross compiled for powerpc; the crash
occurred only when I statically linked my executable with
-static-libgcj. It turned out to be a missing resource. To fix this
problem, I created an archive that had all the *properties*.o objects
from libgcj.a (I called it libgcj_properties.a) and linked it with my
application using '-Wl,--whole-archive -lgcj_properties
-Wl,--no-whole-archive' before the '-static-libgcj'.

If you're not familiar with using 'ar' to extract and pack object files
I'd be happy to send you an example.

,Ben