Garbage collector: Out of memory (when running AWT/SWING code on arm-linux)

ffileppo ffileppo@libero.it
Tue Jun 3 18:43:00 GMT 2008

Hi guys,

I'm getting the following error:

GC Warning: Out of Memory! Returning NIL!

when I try to run any AWT/SWING code compiled with arm-linux-gcj on my embedded box (PXA270 - 128MB Ram). (Other code just runs fine)

For example this code:

import javax.swing.*;

public class SimpleFrame {
    System.out.println("Check 1");
    JFrame f = new JFrame("Simple Frame");
    System.out.println("Check 2");
    f.setSize(200,100);
    f.setVisible(true);
  }
}

gives out of memory error after printing "Check 1".
Trying with some other code I can see that the first AWT/SWING call causes this error.

Any idea to fix / debug this problem?

I've read somewhere to look at stack trace and GC log but I don't know where to get these info.

I'm using gcc 4.3.0, compiled for arm-linux-gnueabi with GTK AWT peer support.

When I try to run AWT/SWING code on my embedded box I have like 110Mb of free ram (with Xorg and matchbox or xfce running).

Thank you,

Francesco