libjava and raw_cxx

Ralf Wildenhues Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de
Fri Dec 12 17:52:00 GMT 2008

* Andreas Schwab wrote on Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 06:43:45PM CET:
> Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think it's easiest to define a cache variable somewhere so that the
> > test is forced to pass.
>
> There is no cache variable associated with this test.

That's an independent bug which needs to be fixed in Libtool anyway.
Thanks for the report.  I will fix it upstream.

I haven't understood the original bug yet, in the sense that I don't
quite understand the requirements that GCC has for Libtool's macros.
Obviously, in this case link tests are not explicitly forbidden, but
implicitly.  How can Libtool know when they are supposed to work and
when not?  What can we assume to work?

If I see correctly, then this particular test tries to find out whether
-rpath sets DT_RUNPATH in addition to DT_RPATH.  Unfortunately, some
distributions patch binutils to add that, but at the same time made no
other change to ld which would make this behavior apparent to the
outside world.  So I don't see how to avoid a test here, and hard-coding
"yes" for gentoo and "no" for most other distros sounds pretty ugly.

Thanks,
Ralf