classpath-0.98 merge for GCC-4.4

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew@member.fsf.org
Fri Aug 15 23:27:00 GMT 2008

On 15/08/2008, Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Andrew John Hughes schrieb:
>
> > On 15/08/2008, Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> >>   - Backed out one nio update
>  >>    2008-04-18  Ian Rogers  <ian.rogers@manchester.ac.uk>
>  >>    Still needs to be merged.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Ok not sure what this is but will take a look.
>

> see http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/java/cpmerge.log

Ahh, seems all the constructor calls were altered to allow the fields
to be final...

e.g.
        * java/nio/Buffer.java (cap): make field private and final.
        (address): make field final.
        (Buffer): add address argument to package protected constructor thereby
        allowing it to be made final.

>  >>   - StringBuffer, AbstractStringBuffer, VMCPStringBuilder merged/copied
>  >>    from classpath; needs some review.
>  >>
>  >
>  > VMCPStringBuilder needs to use CNI in GCJ, I presume rather than the
>  > overhead of reflection.  There already is an implementation in the
>  > gnu.gcj namespace.
>  >
>  >>   - the logic in tools/Makefile.am to disable gjdoc doesn't seem to work yet.
>  >>
>  >
>  > It does for me on Classpath.  What's the issue with the merge?
>

> lib/Makefile.am and tools/Makefile.am are modified in gcj; likely that I did
>  mess up something.
>

>  >>   - document the need to have antlr (and a working java) for maintainer mode
>  >>    builds.
>  >>
>  >
>  > This breaks down to --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-gjdoc when the
>  > above works correctly.
>  >
>  >>   - the classpath configury cannot handle gcj as a compiler for the build;
>  >>    currently most of it is disabled, or unknown command line options are
>  >>    removed in the classpath configury, but maybe this should be addressed
>  >>    in classpath itself.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Can you be more specific? How is gcj being used as a compiler?  Note
>  > that we now use the standard JAVAC= method to specify a specific
>  > compiler, but this was new with 0.97 IIRC.
>

> currently we set JAVAC in the environment to gcj -C and let classpath pick up
>  this one. gcj doesn't understand options like -sourcepath, so I disabled these
>  in classpath (trying to check for the availability of -J using another unknown
>  option ;), and m4/ac_prog_javac.m4 tries to check for a working java compiler,
>  while we don't have yet when not building in maintainer mode.

Ok, this makes sense, but how was it handled for 0.97?

>   Matthias

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8