classpath-0.98 merge for GCC-4.4

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew@member.fsf.org
Mon Aug 11 15:02:00 GMT 2008

2008/8/11 Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>
>> Ideally, I'd prefer a GCJ release to be based on a Classpath
>> release, if just so bug reports against GCJ 4.4 can be more
>> closely linked to a Classpath release.
>
> Me too.
>
>> That said, I think the tree is in okay shape at the moment.  If
>> you do merge now, I'd suggest using the time to test the
>> completed merge, especially the new locale changes.
>
> Yes.
>
>> As a third option, perhaps the main merge could be done now,
>> covering all the feature changes (GJDoc, localisation).  I
>> could then submit the remaining bug fixes planned for 0.98 to
>> GCJ separately, as they get sent to Classpath.  We'd then end
>> up with 0.98 in GCJ (effectively).
>
> That's my suggestion, as long as it doesn't make too much work
> for Doko.

I'm happy to take on the second part i.e. pushing post-merge patches
to GCJ.  We can do this either on a patch-by-patch basis or as a second
smaller merge.

If we take this route, there are a couple of features I'd like to get
into Classpath
before the merge, java.util.Scanner and the javax.activation work from
ClasspathX.
Ideally, these are just merges themselves so should be trivial.
However, I won't be
able to do this until Thursday evening.  If someone else wants to do
it before then,
feel free :)

--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8