Make libgcj.so.9 smaller

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 11:42:00 GMT 2008

ffileppo wrote:

> I compiled gcj for arm using gcc 4.3.0
> I see that libgcj.so.9 is very big (about 72MB).

30M after you strip debuginfo.

> Which options should I use when configuring to make libgcj.so.9 smaller? I'd like to disable net,awt ecc..
> Is there a list of option available for this purpose?

It's a difficult problem or it would have been done already.  Parts
of the essential java code (such as the class loader) depend on
networking, for example.  The Java library is interconnected in
all sorts of interesting places.

David Daney has done some work in this area, such as reducing
the size of the reflection data.

Andrew,