Missing methods in libgcj_bc.so

Bryce McKinlay bmckinlay@gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 02:25:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> I've discovered some missing methods in libgcj_bc.so.
>
> These are:
>
> _Jv_MonitorExit
> _Jv_JNI_PopSystemFrame
> _Jv_RegisterResource
>
> I did this by inspecting a BC-compiled application that mysteriously
> held a DT_NEEDED to libgcj, not just libgcj_bc.
>
> So, how was the list of symbols in libgcj_bc created, and how many
> more symbols might be missing?  I could just add these three, but I'm
> thinking a more systematic approach might be a good idea.

As I recall, the symbol list was generated ad-hoc by grepping the
front end source. If these methods are missing then its obviously a
serious mistake!

I'd suggest the best fix would be to find a way to make the linker
complain about missing libgcj_bc symbols rather than silently finding
them in libgcj. However I do vaguely remember grappling with this
issue before, so it might not be easy.

Bryce