My PyLucene app freezes when run as a daemon

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm@hp.com
Fri Mar 23 21:49:00 GMT 2007

It sounds like you're forking a gcj-compiled process, and then trying to
continue to run indefinitely in the child?

If your _fork() call eventually translates to a Linux (or other Posix)
fork() call, that fundamentally won't work.  Under Posix rules, only one
of the original threads survives in the child, and the child is thus
extremely restricted in what it can do:

From the SUSV3 fork man page: "Consequently, to avoid errors, the child
process may only execute async-signal-safe operations until such time as
one of the exec functions is called."

This applies only to multithreaded processes.  But Java (and gcj)
processes are always multithreaded.

Hans