Thread stack pointers

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Wed Mar 21 22:14:00 GMT 2007

Delvin Defoe wrote:
> Does this mean if I define sigaction act, set the handler as follows,
> // for stack processing
> act.sa_handler = _otf_process_stack;
> sigemptyset(&act.sa_mask);
> act.sa_flags = 0;
>
> signal the thread in the following manner
>  if (tkill(m->_tid,i+1) == -1)
>      fprintf (stderr, "***** tikll failed for thread  %d \n. *****",
> m->_tid);
>
> define the sa_handler function accordingly
>
> _otf_process_stack (int signo)
>
> the stack top for the thread that receives the signal can be give by
> something like
> stack_top = &signo + sizeOf(pointer)?

That is essentially correct.  You don't have to add sizeof(pointer) as
the signal handler has no references to any java objects.  All of the
valid references on the stack will be quite a bit above the stack frame
of the signal handler.  The signal handler is just a convenient lower
bound.  If you want the real value you could extract it from the saved
machine state in the signal handler's siginfo structure, but that makes
the code very machine dependent.