Failure to build libjava on 512MB machine

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Jan 31 18:02:00 GMT 2007

Gerald> Ouch.  I can confirm that on a 32-bit box of mine it fails with about
Gerald> 500MB of main memory.

It is interesting that it is the HTML parser that is causing
problems.  For me, gnu-xml.lo is usually the awful one.
Does that one cause problems for you as well?

Anyway, I did notice a very large .class file in the HTML parser.  So
perhaps that is the problem.  But I wonder whether this is a GCC
regression of some sort.

Gerald> Please, pleeease.  This really hurts.  No I can no longer build libgcj
Gerald> on my notebook and one or two older (but not that old) testers of mine.

Gerald> Ger ``begging'' ald

No need to beg!  You've built up so much good will that fixing
this barely scratches the surface.