Bug in gnu/xml/dom/DomDocumentBuilderFactory.java?

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 18:55:00 GMT 2007

The problem: gcj+Classpath fails to work with Xerces2, but Sun's Java
does work.  The means that, on Fedora, Ant doesn't run with the latest
Classpath.

gnu/xml/dom/DomDocumentBuilderFactory.java.newDocumentBuilder() does
this:

    setParameter(config, "expand-entity-references",
                 isExpandEntityReferences() ? Boolean.TRUE : Boolean.FALSE);

but according to the specification of org.w3c.dom.DOMConfiguration,
"expand-entity-references" is not a parameter defined in the DOM.  It
seems to be local to gnu.xml.dom.ls.DomLSParser.

[ http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/DOMConfiguration.html ]

This is all well and good with gnu.xml.dom.ls.DomLSParser, but if we
have Xerces2 installed in our path then we will fail, because Xerces2
does not support "expand-entity-references".

Is it the case that
gnu.xml.dom.DomDocumentBuilderFactory.newDocumentBuilder is totally
incompatible with Xerces2?

The odd thing is that, as I said before, Sun's
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory will work with Xerces2.

Thanks,