[gcj trunk / gnu-classpath] String.format(...) undefined

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Sat Feb 17 21:11:00 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 14:00 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Hanno Meyer-Thurow writes:
>  > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:46:15 +0000
>  > Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hanno Meyer-Thurow writes:
>  > >  > Hi list,
>  > >  > another error I get compiling JUnit-4.2 with gcj 4.2.20070216:
>  > >
>  > > String.format is a Java 1.5 method.  gcj 4.2 supports a class library
>  > > that corresponds to Java 1.4.  gcj 4.3 will support a class library
>  > > that corresponds to Java 1.5.
>  >
>  > Woa, how could I. I meant gcj 4.3.20070216. Sorry.
>
> I think it's just a couple of methods that need to be merged from
> Classpath:
> [...]
> We really need to merge the whole class.

I am testing the attached patch that syncs up String, StringBuffer,
StringBuilder and Character to the latest GNU Classpath versions,
bringing in some new methods, some bug fixes and some indentation
cleanups. But it takes a while to compile it all since some usage of cni
needs to be adjusted for the changes in argument and return types.

Please do test if you can (see libjava/HACKING for
--enable-java-maintainer-mode). Will post to the patches list when I
have had a chance to actually try it out myself.

Cheers,

Mark