Eclipse compilation problem

Vladimír Lapáček vladimir.lapacek@gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 05:01:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

I tried to compile the Eclipse package in Ubuntu using "gcj with
generics" and got the following error:

pdebuild.jar:
   [mkdir] Created dir:
/home/vladimir/trash/eclipse/eclipse-3.2.1/source-tree/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/temp.folder/pdebuild.jar.bin
   [javac] Compiling 66 source files to
/home/vladimir/trash/eclipse/eclipse-3.2.1/source-tree/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/temp.folder/pdebuild.jar.bin
   [javac] ----------
   [javac] 1. ERROR in
/home/vladimir/trash/eclipse/eclipse-3.2.1/source-tree/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/src/org/eclipse/pde/internal/build/FeatureWriter.java
(at line 24)
   [javac]     public class FeatureWriter extends
   [javac] XMLWriter implements IPDEBuildConstants {
   [javac]                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   [javac] The return type is incompatible with
Writer.append(CharSequence, int, int),
PrintWriter.append(CharSequence, int, int)
   [javac] ----------
   [javac] 2. ERROR in
/home/vladimir/trash/eclipse/eclipse-3.2.1/source-tree/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/src/org/eclipse/pde/internal/build/FeatureWriter.java
(at line 24)
   [javac]     public class FeatureWriter extends
   [javac] XMLWriter implements IPDEBuildConstants {
   [javac]                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   [javac] The return type is incompatible with
Writer.append(CharSequence), PrintWriter.append(CharSequence)
   [javac] ----------
   [javac] 3. ERROR in
/home/vladimir/trash/eclipse/eclipse-3.2.1/source-tree/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/src/org/eclipse/pde/internal/build/FeatureWriter.java
(at line 24)
   [javac]     public class FeatureWriter extends
   [javac] XMLWriter implements IPDEBuildConstants {
   [javac]                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   [javac] The return type is incompatible with Writer.append(char),
PrintWriter.append(char)
   [javac] ----------
   [javac] ----------

I know that I did not describe the compilation setup very well. I
basically used the tools that can be found at
http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/ubuntu/feisty/i386/ and used the
Eclipse source package that can be downloaded in Ubuntu Edgy by
apt-get source eclipse

The problem only appears when using the new gcj with generics (java 5)
from the above location. When using gcj included in Ubuntu Edgy the
build goes well.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Vladimir Lapacek