libjava threads vs no-threads?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Mon Apr 23 00:53:00 GMT 2007

    Hello java team,

  I just tried building mainline using --enable-libgcj but not any
--enable-threads= option.  I don't know if this is supposed to work or not.
There's a file libjava/include/no-threads.h, so it looks like it's supported,
but that file provides no definition for ParkHelper and the build fails
eventually when libjava/java/lang/natVMDouble.cc #includes jvm.h which refers
to it unconditionally, with a "ParkHelper is not a class, struct or union
type" error.

  Here's the patch from last December that introduced ParkHelper:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2006-q4/msg00246.html
but I couldn't find any discussion of the no-threads case in the related
conversation; I did, however, find a post from 2004 saying "Expect it to be
bit-rotted".

  Is no-threads still supported?  Should there be a configure error (or did I
perhaps overlook a warning) if it's used?

    cheers,
      DaveK