AWT with static gcj

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri Sep 22 17:08:00 GMT 2006

>>>>> "Marco" == Marco Trudel <mtrudel@gmx.ch> writes:

Marco> I hope you forgive me that I will keep staying around and keep bugging
Marco> the list with questions to get GCJ running on linux and windows at the
Marco> same level (at least from my point of view).

There's nothing to forgive, this is why we're hanging out here :-)

Marco> You forget the windows world and standard java programmers out there ;-)
Marco> GCJ currently only works in disable-shared mode on windows and
Marco> AWT/Swing is unfortunately widely used there.

Yeah.  You may want to read all the old threads about making dynamic
linking work on windows.

Marco> I'm not familar with libltdl. Was you basic idea to replace
Marco> libgtkpeer.a with an own written shared library that dlpreopens the
Marco> original libgtkpeer.a?
Marco> Or do I understand you wrong? Did you mean to include the library into
Marco> the final executable somehow?

Here's the docs on preopening:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Dlpreopening

Basically the idea would be to link your app in a special way so that
the peers are pulled in statically, and then libltdl can find them.
This would let things work without requiring any changes to libgcj,
the gtk peers, etc.