Compiling with CVS classpath

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Thu Sep 14 08:35:00 GMT 2006

Hi Cameron,

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 12:10 +1000, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> I am trying to get gcj compiled with CVS classpath, but having troubles.
> gcc/libjava/HACKING tells me:
>
>   The way to set this up is very similar to importing a new version of
>   Classpath into the libgcj tree.  In your working tree:
>
>   * cd gcc/libjava; rm -rf classpath
>   * cvs co classpath
>   * cd classpath
>     Now run the auto tools as specified in the import process; then
>     cd ..
>   * Run 'scripts/makemake.tcl > sources.am' in the source tree
>   * Run automake for libgcj
>
>   Now you should be ready to go.

That is not completely right. Sorry. Under "To import a new release:" it
has slightly more accurate instructions. You want to skip the importing
into the svn branch. But this part is essential:

- Check out a classpath snapshot or take a release tar.gz file.
  I use 'cvs export' for this.  Make a tag to ensure future hackers
  know exactly what revision was checked out; tags are of the form
  'libgcj-import-DATE' (when using a tagged checkout do:
  - ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make dist
  to get a proper .tar.gz for importing below).

You want to use a real release version (as produced by make dist) since
that might contain some generated files that are not in pure CVS.

>   jet:/home/cam/work/svn/gcc/libjava # scripts/makemake.tcl > sources.am
>   couldn't open "classpath/lib/standard.omit": no such file or directory
>       while executing
>   "open $name r"
>       (procedure "read_omit_file" line 3)
>       invoked from within
>   "read_omit_file classpath/lib/standard.omit"
>       (file "scripts/makemake.tcl" line 366)

standard.omit is a generated file now (it used to be in CVS). If it is
not in the classpath tree then use the current one from
gcc/libgcj/classpath/lib/standard.omit which lists:
gnu/test/.*java$
gnu/java/awt/peer/x/.*java$

Cheers,

Mark