gcj version that include javax.sound.* implementations

Michael Koch konqueror@gmx.de
Sat Sep 9 06:14:00 GMT 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:29:51PM +0200, Ewald Peiszer wrote:
> Hi,

Hello

> Second question: what is the easiest way to install this version on my
> Stable Debian?
>
> Should I try to compile it from source? I tried that already and didn't
> get very far (configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub).
>
> Or is it better to use apt-get (adding lines for unstable to source.list
> etc)?

Just adding unstable to your sources.list can cause a major system
breakage as not only GCJ gets installed from unstable then. A lot of
newer stuff which can break with stuff from sarge.

The way I do this on all my machines is to setup a chroot (with
debootstrap) and use the GCJ in there. Together with bind-mounting /home
you can use your normal working environment mixed with more uptodate
software.

The other solution is to compile GCC yourself but I dont think that
Sarge has a sufficiently new enough GTK for the the gtk peer from GCJ.
You would need to update/build GTK too.

Regards,
Michael
--