Headless AWT

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Tue May 30 17:26:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 12:00 +0200, Juerg Lehni wrote:
> Coming from the Sun JVM, I was wondering if there is a possibility to
> use various AWT functionalities (Graphics2D, ImageIO, etc) without
> the need for an AWT peer on GCJ? On the Sun JVM, this is possible by
> specifying -Djava.awt.headless=true.
>
> It seems on OS X the only way to get this funcitonality is by
> compiling it with Gtk or xlib. Would such an application run without
> X11 as long as no Windows would be displayed?

Currently not since we always require gtk+ to make an X connection. But
the Graphics2d pipeline is being revamped in classpath at this moment to
push things through cairo. Since cairo can draw on any surface, not just
gtk+/xlib components it should be possible to support headless drawing
with that. See for the general setup:
http://developer.classpath.org/pipermail/classpath-patches/2006-May/002387.html
This is work in progress. Adding full headless support will probably
take some extra work, but should be perfectly doable with the new setup.

Cheers,

Mark