libgcj-classpath-20060719 merge

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 20:15:00 GMT 2006

>> It seems weird that in order to do a merge we must create a third
>> branch.

Haren> It makes it into more logical steps:
Haren> classpath -> gcj-classpath-integration -> trunk

I don't agree that it is more logical.  I think that doing a merge and
then fixing it to build correctly is a "normal" operation, one which
ought not require an intermediate staging branch in order to get a
good diff.

That said I don't think it is substantially "less logical" to get
diffs against the merge-ee base revision.  It is weird for me, and I
can't really imagine why you'd ever want this, but I'm assuming this
is just an imagination failure on my part.

Haren> 1. Can depend on svn to generate the perfect diff

My contention is that svn ought to be able to create a perfect diff
already, without requiring a 3rd branch.

Haren> 8. No surpises or mysteries

This can hardly be claimed to be a benefit when the surprises and
mysteries are svn-induced themselves :-)

Anyway, we're stuck with what we've got.