OS-X (ppc) and libjava status

Andreas Tobler toa@pop.agri.ch
Tue Jul 18 21:19:00 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I write this message due to the fact that there are some hidden
dependencies in this area.
Libjava/libgcj is working pretty good on darwin-pcc, if one has the
needed libraries (gtk2+, cairo etc.) we can run all the classpath
examples and they work more or less. Even a jedit or a freechart demo
rocks. Well some minor issues which will improve after the next cp import.

The hidden dependencies I mentioned above are more in terms of
prerequisites. Darwin-pcc < 8.0.0 lacks a lot of proper core
functionality which leads to unwanted behavior and also to a lot of
headache.
darwin >= 8 has a revised/reimplemented pthreads architecture and also a
reimplemented dlopen facility. Additional the static constructors are
starting to work with darwin8. Before it was not possible to have a core
libgcj loading an additional library. The methods where not known. The
constructors ended up in /dev/null.

So, the message I want to bring over is, if one wants to play with
libgcj under OS-X/darwin he/she should make sure to use a version more
recent than darwin-8.0.0. Everything before only works for simple 'Hello
World' on the command line.

I'm pleased to give more details if needed.

Just wanted to tell _my_ experiences for darwin-pcc.

Andreas