statically linked executable size

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Wed Jul 5 23:04:00 GMT 2006

Tom Tromey wrote:
> We've talked about splitting libgcj.so into a few libraries before.
> The drawbacks that I know of are:
> * Users would have to know to link in these libraries if they wanted
>   to use them from CNI-style compiled program (or statically linked
>   program)

Does Elf have a mechanism to specify that this object/library requires
some other library?  If so, then we can use that mechanism.

The idea that users should have to specify which libraries to link
with is something I find totally lame.  That people needed to do this
20 years ago is no excuse to continue such nonsense.  I.e. if my C/C++
program includes <math.h> that should be enough information that the
linker can figure out we need libm.
--
	--Per Bothner