Reconsidering gcjx

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Sat Jan 28 20:57:00 GMT 2006

Per> Another concern: I gather there are lots of dependencies
Per> between Eclipse libraries.  Does ecj depend on any other
Per> Eclipse libraries?

Good point.  I forgot to mention this.

The Eclipse compiler is standalone by design.

The project to look at is 'org.eclipse.jdt.core'.
You can get it from
:pserver:anonymous@dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse

There are a lot of directories in this module; the compiler core
itself is in 'compiler' and 'batch'.  The only dependency these files
have is J2SE.  (The code outside these directories does depend on the
rest of Eclipse, but we would not build that.)

In fact we exploit this to build the system 'javac' for Fedora Core.
We also are currently building the Eclipse compiler nightly on the
Classpath build machine.

One minor risk for this project is that the upstream compiler will
change this for some reason.  However, I don't think that is a very
major risk; they've actually been quite interested in what we've done
for FC.  Also, due to the builder, we'll know the same day that
anything breaks :-)