about tools.jar and jpeg replacements

Albert albert@pensament.net
Fri Jan 13 18:14:00 GMT 2006

> Albert> Thanks for the input. I will see what can I do with java-gcj-compat
> Albert> As for the jpeg, what ImageJ uses now is sun's library ( import
> Albert> com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.* ).
>
> Ok.  We definitely don't support that package.
> In general we don't implement com.sun.* or sun.* (the stuff in
> tools.jar being a big exception).

Ok, then I recall you mentioned the javax.imageio package. What is the stage
of development of this package, and how can one find out?

I've been around the website trying to find an easy .tar.gz to download with
the gcj source code, but I couldn't find any. If one is to download from svn,
how can the gcj branch be downloaded separate from the rest of the gcc? The
documentation on the website was not clear to me.

>Albert> ** ERROR **:

Albert>file ../../../src/libjava/jni/gtk-peer/gnu_java_awt_peer_gtk_GtkImage.c:
> Albert> line 572 (createRawData): assertion failed: (data_fid != 0)
> Albert> aborting...
>
> I think this is a known bug in gcj 4.0.x.
> I'm not completely sure though.

Too bad then. I've seen several reports over google. I am eager to have a look
at the code and attempt to fix it, otherwise Image manipulation programs like
ImageJ won't run at all. If only I could get the source code!

Thank you Tom for the explanations on how to compile the java classes to .o
files. I will give it a shot, even if a priori it looks rather odd that not
all classes are compiled at once.

--
Albert Cardona
Molecular Cell Developmental Biology