[Bug target/21206] gcj seems not to pass the option to ld correctly

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 15:41:00 GMT 2006

Rainer Emrich writes:

 > Andrew Haley schrieb:
 > > Rainer Emrich writes:
 > >  > The config.log in libjava has two entries for libiconv:
 > >  > LIBICONV
 > >  > which is
 > >  > LIBICONV='/appl/shared/gnu/Linux/ia64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libiconv.so
 > >  > -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/appl/shared/gnu/Linux/ia64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib'
 > >  > in my case.
 > >  >
 > >  > The second is
 > >  > LTLIBICONV
 > >  > which is
 > >  > LTLIBICONV='-L/appl/shared/gnu/Linux/ia64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib -liconv
 > >  > -R/appl/shared/gnu/Linux/ia64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib'
 > >  > in my case.
 > >  >
 > >  > I changed the libgcj.spec file manually to the second. That seems to work.
 > >  > So, my conclusion is to change the libgcj.spec.in.
 > >  > The following line:
 > >  > *lib: -lgcj -lm @LIBICONV@ @GCSPEC@ @THREADSPEC@ @ZLIBSPEC@ @SYSTEMSPEC@
 > >  > %(libgcc) %(liborig)
 > >  >  should be changed to
 > >  > *lib: -lgcj -lm @LTLIBICONV@ @GCSPEC@ @THREADSPEC@ @ZLIBSPEC@ @SYSTEMSPEC@
 > >  > %(libgcc) %(liborig)
 > >  >
 > >  > Any comments?
 > >
 > > Looks right to me.  BTW, what failure caused you to find this?

 > See the following messages:

Yes, I agree with your reasoning.  AFAIK Mark Mitchell has to approve
this as it's for the release, but it's OK by me if it passes
bootstrap.

I don't see this problem on my system because LIBICONV and LTLIBICONV
are both null.  AFAIK that's because iconv is in libc.

Andrew.