Question on GCJ/Boehm Memory Utilization

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Sun Feb 19 19:06:00 GMT 2006

Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:

> The character arrays created by GCJ/Boehm for storing the
> java.lang.String tokens that result from XML processing are where I
> believe there is a problem.  These are short strings, typically around
> 10 or so characters in length.  GCJ/Boehm seems to be allocating
> 2048-byte heap blocks, and in many cases - even 12932-byte heap blocks,
> and then putting only one or two of the tokens resulting from XML
> parsing into them.  Just a few characters.  In some cases, 2 of these
> short tokens share a 2048-byte or 12932-byte block, but very often they
> don't.
>
> The end result is that the limited amount of memory that we do have on
> our target device is largely squandered.  Is there a good reason why the
> character arrays for java.lang.String's are always stored within large
> (2048/12932 byte) PTRFREE Boehm heap allocations?  Are there things we
> could do to coax Boehm GC into using smaller allocations in these
> situations, say 128 bytes instead of 2048?

You don't say how you are generating the Strings.  Some applications
build the string using a StringBuffer object.  When it is complete the
String is obtained with StringBuffer.toString().

If this is how you are creating Strings, then the GC and GCJ have
nothing to do with the size of the char[] associated with the String.
The sizing is done in libgcj, specifically in the String, and
StringBuffer classes.

> And finally, is there anything that was changed in later versions (than
> 3.3/6.2) of GCJ/Boehm to mitigate this problem?

Yes.  In 3.3.1 the char[] is always shared, so if you do:

StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer(2048);
sb.append('j');
String s = sb.toString();

I think you will get a one character String that has a 2048 byte backing
  char[].

In 3.4.3 the char[] is not shared unless it is more than 25% full.  So
the pathalogical case above is handled in an optimal manner.

David Daney.